On 15 August 2026, the Kaya Toast Playback Theatre group put up a second performance with [X] by Kita, for youths aged 18-35 years old. The sold out show was attended by more than 50 youths at the Stamford Arts Centre.
The theme was "Seasons of...", evoking the imagery of seasons, to invite stories of the seasons in our lives that come unannounced, and provide a space for these unheard stories.
BACKGROUND
Like in In Between (2026), the Kaya Toast Playback Theatre group was made up of members we have met at the SDEA Core Training a year before in August 2025.
We were supported by the youth development charity, With Kita, that runs the third space, [X] by Kita at Stamford Arts Centre, "a third space for youths aged 18-35 to gather, create, rest & belong" through a variety of programming.
I was surprised by the generosity of sharing from the audience that evening. While we started the evening with audience members sharing the long Saturdays they were having before the show, we were also graced with stories of heartbreak, of journeys with mental health, of self-acceptance and of grief from losing loved ones.
My final offer at the show's closing was,
I remember those with the busy Saturdays making their way here.I remember those who have pillars of support for the night
I remember
LEARNING POINTS
Amidst the privilege of the vulnerable stories that the youths shared, it triggered many reflections about my ethos as a community artist. We had not anticipated stories with mentions of suicide helplines or of mental health crises. I found myself thinking of the need for more resourcing for the audience and the tellers, did they need more resources? Did I also need to align to the "best practices" of the mental health professions and draw boundaries with the audiences? Yet, I also did not want to be a community artist that only sought to extract stories from the community. How do I also balance my need to decompress after carrying these stories? I look forward to reading up more, especially about the structures of Playback Theatre that provide safety for the Tellers to share their private stories in the public space. It also has me reflecting more about how we shape our further work with this community of youth.
I have also been reflecting about the resilience needed as a Playbacker. With an improvisational form, there also comes ruminations of what could have been a better offer. And I am reflecting about the resilience required to continue showing up imperfectly - being ok with the not quite right, but maybe... good enough - instead of being frozen by analysing all the possible offers. One affirmation I am bearing in mind is the atmosphere of the audience during and after the show. I am grateful for the trust the audience members bestowed us that evening.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Venue, Programme and Marketing Support: Kita and their [X] space: Victor, Madhu, Masha, EmunAPPENDICES




